Facial injections are amazing non surgical treatments for temporarily smoothing areas of the face that have wrinkled, sagged, sunken or have lost volume. Inevitably, this skin damage occurs as a result of aging, squinting, intense smiling, accelerated aging and excessive sun exposure. Injections like Dysport, and Botox, which are a botulin toxin Type A, are used to temporarily paralyze the facial muscles so that wrinkles are prevented from forming. Hyaluronic Acid dermal fillers like Restylane®, Perlane®, Juvéderm® are injected to add volume and improve the texture of the skin.
Although there are little to no side effects from having these procedures, post-treatment bruising has been known to occur in some patients. Most people are affected around the eyes, where crows feet appear. The blood vessels are very thin, so bruising is more likely to happen in these areas than others. To avoid this altogether, patients should take some precautions before having a treatment. Here are the dos and don’ts before and after getting a facial injection:
- Start a regime of 500 mg of bromelain three times per day and oral arnica three times per day about 5 days prior.
- Get plenty of rest the night before the procedure and stay hydrated.
- Wait for sunburns and injections to heal before having the treatment.
- Don’t take over-the-counter medications that thin the blood out like aspirin, ibuprofen (Motrin and Advil, Naproxen (Aleve), Excedrin and St. John’s Wart.
- Don’t take Vitamin E, Fish oil or Omega-3s, Ginko Bilboa or Ginseng.
- Don’t wear makeup right before the treatment. You’ll be asked to remove it.
- Don’t exercise for 4-6 hours after the treatment.
- Don’t lie face down on a yoga mat after the treatment.
- Don’t sleep on your face.
Taking medications like tylenol may not thin the blood like some of the other over-the-counter medications, so patients should feel safe to take it as directed on the label.
If by some chance, you don’t adhere to the precautions, you could experience bruising the same day or days after. Eventually the bruising will subside, but in some cases it could take up to two weeks.
Facial injections work wonders on damaged skin and work better when you follow these dos and don’ts. One last big DO, do make sure to have your treatment performed by a licensed professional. Our technicians at Advanced Skin Fitness are trained to administer the injections properly and keep you comfortable before and after the treatment. Come in today, so we can wipe those wrinkles away.
We’re open 10AM to 6PM Tuesday – Friday and 10AM – 4PM on Saturdays for your convenience. Drop by and talk with us.
Advanced Skin Fitness
2928 Oak Lawn Avenue
Dallas, Texas 75219